Below is a Youtube video based on an amazing book that contextualizes a lot of the recent developments in Social Media and how we are all using it. I definitely had to pick my jaw up off my desk with some of these astronomical statistics. This video was made by Erik Qualman who also wrote the book Socialnomics. This book explores the development of Social Media, its explosive growth, the profound changes it is bringing and how best to leverage these new technologies.
Some of the most amazing statistics from this video that immediately stuck out to me are:
- 96% of all Millennials have joined a social network
- If Facebook were a country, it would be the world’s 3rd largest (Behind China and India)
- 80% of companies use Social Media for recruiting new employees
- The fastest growing segment on Facebook is 55-65 year old Females.
- Youtube is now the world’s 2nd largest search engine (after google)
This video is high energy and very enlightening to whats happening all around us. Sometimes it can be hard to see the forest for the trees, but this video really helps me understand that magnitude of this change and how immense and powerful our new networks, communications and tools are! I hope that you enjoy this video as well!
I think this video and book really illustrate how important it is for educators to not only acknowledge the important role Social Media plays in our lives and our student’s lives, but how important it is to teach Social Media etiquette, safety and to role model appropriate and balanced Social media behaviours! We all play a role in helping each other navigate these new tools and virtual spaces!